If Windows Live Writer won't launch, it can be a heart-sinking experience if you depend on it as much as I do - it's the best free blogging tool I know.
For me, trying to "repair" Windows Live Essentials via the Control Panel Programs and Features didn't work to get WLW to open again. Nada, not even an error message.
Here's how to fix it when Windows Live Writer stops working, or at least some steps to try:
- Open up Windows Explorer or Computer.
- In the address bar at the top, type or paste the following (not case-sensitive), then hit Enter or the right arrow:
%AppData%\Windows Live Writer\
- You'll see folders like these:
- Open the LinkGlossary folder. Copy the linkglossary.xml file there, then paste it somewhere you can find it again, as backup in case.
- Now delete the linkglossary.xml file from the LinkGlossary folder. (Thanks to Scott Lovegrove).
- Try opening WLW again. If that doesn't work, try opening the Keywords folder, and deleting all the files inside that folder that start with 'keyword..'.
- I also found a registry fix - see this link (scroll down)
For me, step 6 didn't work, but step 5 solved the problem for me, so I didn't need to try step 7.