ESeries and NSeries cell phones, can be updated for free via the Nokia Software Updater, which Nokia announced recently. Choose your phone model and it'll walk you through the system requirements, preliminary steps to take, and the software to download.
Using that free software, available in 40 languages, you can update the firmware of your Nokia E Series or N Series cellphone or certain other Nokia phone models (see below) by yourself, rather than having to take the phone in to a Nokia Service Centre.
The FAQs are pretty comprehensive and there's a dedicated Nokia discussion forum on software updates, but here are some key points:
- firmware upgrades can be of two types:
- update OTA (over the air), which may of course involve paying your network provider or carrier for the data transfer charges, or
- update via PC using the Nokia USB cable (but not over Bluetooth),
- PC, yep it's PC only, no Macs (system requirements; looks like it's XP or Windows 2000 only, not even Vista yet?)
- whether you can update using Software Updater also depends on your phone's existing firmware version (check your version number), country and network operator
- compatible phone models at the date of writing this post (Nokia should of course be adding new models over time; check the current list of supported models) are: Nokia E50, Nokia E60, Nokia E61, Nokia E70, Nokia N70, Nokia N70ME, Nokia N71, Nokia N72, Nokia N73, Nokia N73IE, Nokia N73ME, Nokia N80, Nokia N80IE, Nokia N90, Nokia N91, Nokia N91 8GB, Nokia N92, Nokia N93, Nokia N93i, Nokia N800 Internet Tablet, Nokia 770 Internet Tablet, Nokia 3250, Nokia 5200, Nokia 5300 XpressMusic, Nokia 5500 Sport, Nokia 6085, Nokia 6125, Nokia 6126, Nokia 6131, Nokia 6136, Nokia 6151, Nokia 6233, Nokia 6234, Nokia 6270, Nokia 6288, Nokia 6630, Nokia 6680, Nokia 6681, Nokia 6682, Nokia 7370, Nokia 7373, Nokia 7390
- before you try to upgrade your firmware:
But Nokia have been trialling the software for over a year before the recent official release so hopefully people shouldn't have too many problems - as mentioned, Nokia have decent FAQs including error messages explanations, and help and support are available via their software update discussion forum.